A life that revolves around a life-threatening illness often leaves a person feeling disconnected from the rest of the world. As a caring community, our support and generosity is crucial to their overall well-being.
To Show We Care is a not-for-profit, volunteer organization that provides patients who are in or recovering from treatment and illness, a respite from their medical problems to enjoy a theatrical or musical event at no charge.
Many research studies show the positive effect live theatre and music has on people’s lives, both physically and psychologically. Our hope is to bring joy and happiness to as many community members affected by life-threatening illness as possible, if only for a few hours.
All of our events have the same characteristics.
- Provide an opportunity for people affected by life-threatening illness to leave their worries behind, relax and enjoy an entertaining event.
- Our events are group oriented so that our guests experience companionship with others who are in a similar situation as theirs, letting them know that they are not alone.
- Many of our guests are not able to financially afford an event. All of our guests are invited along with a companion at no charge.
- Our events are not fundraisers, therefore we do not solicit donations from our guests at our events. We want our guests to be able to enjoy the event without any strings attached.
- We provide an opportunity for the community to demonstrate that we are all part of the same community and that no one should feel isolated or left out because of illness.